Copyright © 2003-2011, Aishah Schwartz. Permission granted to circulate among private individuals, groups, or in not-for-profit publications in full text and subject title. All other rights reserved.

November 15, 2005

A Sad But True...Ramadan Survey

Usually when I am on Yahoo messenger my status is invisible. The reason for that is because if I make my presence known, I might as well just be in a position to sit in for the long-haul because I'll be working about 5 or 6 windows at a time for the next couple hours! *lol* But sometimes I like to let people know I'm out there because I have the time, and it is nice to catch up with everyone. However, invariably, after you've logged into available status, that's when, the uninvited, non-contact 'guests' decide to 'pop-in'. Now, to give Yahoo credit, they also automatically make very visible access to ways of blocking, viewing profiles, or even reporting intruders as spam. That's all well and good. But every now and then, short of the blocking or spam reporting, you get a persistent stream of these unwanted interruptions all because you've changed your status to allow your friends to see that you are online! So this past week (it was actually about October 23rd through the 30th, 2005), I just got curious, and started observing the flies landing in the proverbial web...and began asking questions, in my own little 'survey' of sorts. Of course, every one of these uninvited guests is male. Al-hamdulillah, the majority of uninvited guests respond in the affirmative when asked if they are Muslim. Surprisingly, when asked if they are married, when I would expect them to say no, they respond in the affirmative! Kudos to them! Al-hamdulillah, again, to the guys, when they respond affirmatively to the question of whether or not they are fasting; the majority were, indeed, fasting. And then I let them know: (1) I am also Muslim; (2) I am married; and (3) I am also fasting. At which point the nice practicing Muslim brother would politely bow out of the conversation...well...you would think, eh? But the intruding guest persists..."Can we still talk?" "Can I get to know you better?" "Where do you live?" "What's your name?" and the like... Ugg! P-l-e-a-s-e!!! So, to round the survey right on out, I politely go in for the kill. And just for fun, here are some of the reactions. Conclusion: In every corner of the world there is a mission field... P.S. Above all, dear sisters…please beware of attempts by men like these who would endeavor to so easily lure you down a path that can lead to nothing good in the end… ===================================== VISITOR NO. 1 Visitor No. 1: hi hajjaaishah: hi hajjaaishah: Muslim hajjaaishah: Married Visitor No. 1: yes Visitor No. 1: i am muslim Visitor No. 1: divorced no kids hajjaaishah: Umm...you misunderstood. I'm sorry. What I was conveying to you is that I am Muslim and I am married. Visitor No. 1: i knew what u stating by ur talk Visitor No. 1: i answered u back ..stating about me Visitor No. 1: do u have kids hajjaaishah: Umm...are you fasting this Ramadan? Visitor No. 1: yes Visitor No. 1: what about u ? hajjaaishah: Al-hamdulillah (for you) and yes (for me) hajjaaishah: Let me ask you a question. Visitor No. 1: ask hajjaaishah: If your wife were sitting at home and a strange man invited her to chat, would you be happy with that? hajjaaishah: (just curious) Visitor No. 1: see to talk frankly speaking Visitor No. 1: some husbands would agree for it as a game for joke hajjaaishah: like playing with fire? Visitor No. 1: ya hajjaaishah: Well, last time I checked...he who plays with fire gets burned. hajjaaishah: Personally, I'm striving for Jannah. hajjaaishah: I suggest you find something more constructive to do with your time this Ramadan, insha'Allah. hajjaaishah: May Allah subhanaahu wa ta'ala forgive you. Visitor No. 1: may i ask u a question ? Visitor No. 1: why u r here Visitor No. 1: ? hajjaaishah: I have a sisters e-group online. It has 172 members. Generally when I am online I chose to use the "invisible" status. But from time-to-time I allow myself to be visible in order to receive message from the sisters and other friends and family THAT ARE ON MY CONTACT LIST. You are not on my contact list; you are an uninvited intruder. And it is people like you that need something more constructive to do with their time. hajjaaishah: Try Salah hajjaaishah: That should keep you busy hajjaaishah: May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala guide you to the straight path. hajjaaishah: Ma'Salaama. Visitor No. 1: bye Additional survey results (14 total) can be viewed by clicking on the title to this post. Copyright © 2005 - Aishah Schwartz Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to post on Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject title in not-for-profit publications. Contact author for all other rights, which are reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Al-salamu alaykum sister,
    thank you for this I am going to save this because I too stay in the visible mode and sometimes my friends just take a chance that I am online..this isn't fare for the women and those men that bother us...you really hit the nail on the head with these men..I am an american muslim and I was born and raised in america and I have seen this time and time again and now I have come to egypt and I see it all over again so I am still in the invisible mode when will it end...wa alaykum salam

    ReplyDelete