Copyright © 2003-2011, Aishah Schwartz. Permission granted to circulate among private individuals, groups, or in not-for-profit publications in full text and subject title. All other rights reserved.

November 13, 2010

Do You Know a New Muslim?

Incentive to reach out to a new Muslim this Eid-ul-Adha. "My memories of my first Eid (it was actually a Eid al-Fitr) are actually quite lonely. As a new Muslim I knew very little about what to do and where to go and was too shy to invite myself somewhere. Unfortunately invitations weren't very forthcoming either. Only years later I decided to create my own festive atmosphere by getting together with other converts who also did not have Muslim family. Together we would go around the whole day visiting different individuals and families. This was the first time I really felt some of the togetherness, which should be such an important element of Eid. It would be good if Muslim families, instead of focusing only on their own extended family, would make a greater effort to include people within their Muslim community who may not have a place to go for Eid. It would give converts a greater feeling of belonging and strengthen their hearts in the deen."
From: Your First `Eid Al-Adha: Joys & Frustrations
Copyright 1999-2005 Islalm Online
The word 'Eid is an Arabic name to mean a festivity, a celebration, a recurring happiness, and a feast. In Islam, there are two major 'Eids namely the feast of Ramadhan ('EId Al-Fitr) and the Feast of Sacrifice ('Eid Al-Adhha). The first 'Eid is celebrated by Muslims after fasting the month of Ramadhan as a matter of thanks and gratitude to Almighty Allah. It takes place on the first day of Shawwal, the tenth month of the lunar calendar. The second 'Eid is the Feast of Sacrifice and it is to be celebrated for the memory of prophet Ibrahim trying to sacrifice his son Isma'il (Ishmael). This 'Eid lasts four days between the tenth and the thirteenth day of Zul-Hijjah, the twelfth month of the lunar calendar.

3 comments:

  1. I can't help but wonder why Muslims do not celebrate the Eid's more - well ok maybe that is not fair and maybe I am only comparing christmas type of celebrations. But I think what is missing for the 'revert' is the sense of a true celebration. Perhaps Muslims do not want the Eid's to become like the Christian holidays do -overly commercialized, which I can entirely understand. So where is the middle ground? I think you had the right idea - to gather some 'like minded' people (rather in the same situation as you are) and go around that day and spread some 'good will' :)

    Hope we all have good memories of the Eids past and to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an American revert, I have felt "left out" of the Muslim community, especially on holidays. (Now, alhamdulillah, I have Muslim relatives of my own.) This article provides good advice, and a good dawah opportunity, for helping new Muslims on the Eid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Salaamu Alaikum,

    Jazaka Allahu Khayr for this article. I can relate! My husband is African-American, and we have been double left out, May Allah forgive us all.

    Alhamdulillah that I have him, but there were 3 years when I was alone ... but Alhamdulillah I focused on the reason I came to Islam from Judaism - to please Allah (swt) and that's simply it!

    Fi Aman Allah

    ReplyDelete